The 17th KAO
1. The 1st Round (document based)
Registration Dates : Mar. 6(Mon)~Apr. 13(Thu), 2017 (by postmark date)
(The closing date was extended from the originally announced date of Apr. 6)
Host : Korean Astronomical Society
Sponsors : Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning,
(currently, changed to the Ministry of Science and ICT)
Korea Foundation for the Advancement of Science & Creativity,
Korea Lottery Commission,
Korean Astronomy and Space Science Institute
Categories & Participant Eligibility
 School Category
- Middle School : students enrolled in the 2nd and 3rd grade of middle schools in Korea,
and who were born before Dec. 31, 2003
- High School : students enrolled in the 1st or 2nd grade of senior high schools in Korea
- General High school : including the autonomous private high schools
- Science High school : including the high schools for science-gifted education
 Personal Background Category
Regular Application : students who are not elligible for the Special Application.
Special Application : students whose personal background belong to the groups that need improvement in social integration
such as low-income or welfare families,
rural area residents engaged in agriculture and fishery, persons with disabilities,
North Korean refugees and multi-ethnic families, etc. who have an interest in and
aptitude for astronomy.
(* supporting documents needed)
Gender bias improvement application :
The majority gender at the 1st round application can not take up more than 75% in the
1st selection list. However, the exception is allowed if the total number of the minority
gender does not exceed 25% of the 1st round selection list.
Documents to be submitted (by online as well as postal delivery or in person):
- Application forms with an activity records section
- Official school record including the transcript of the previous year
- Current school principal`s recommendation letter with an official seal
- Permission to collect and use the personal information of the applicant
(In 2017, the self-introduction essay and recommendation letter are excluded from the document list)
Procedure : Complete the online application forms and then send school records as well as supporting documents by post.
Results (announced online on May. 15, 2017): 290 students (85 from middle schools, 90 from general high schools and 115 from science high schools) are selected in aggregate with no individual awards.
2. The 2nd Round (based on homework assignments and oral-interview)
Date/Time (oral interview) : Aug. 19(Sat), 2017 / 08:00~12:10, 12:30~17:30
Location : Seoul National University, Bldg. no. 43-1 (Multimedia Building)
Applicant Eligibility for the oral interview : Among those selected from the 1st round, ones as follows qualify for the 2nd round.
- have participated in the online video lectures given on the website of the Korea Astronomy Olympiad
- have submitted homework assignments given from June through July at least once.
Format of the oral interview :
- Contestants are given three multi-step questions for which they have 30 minutes to solve under proctored conditions and 10 minutes to explain the answers to two judges.
(calculators are permitted)
- Judges make evaluations on the reasoning ability, problem-solving skills and creative potential
Results (announced on Sep. 5, 2017): 82 students (31 from middle schools, 24 from general high schools and 27 from science high schools) are selected without any awards given individually.
※ These students are to be trained via a weekend observational class to be held in the Songam Space Center in October and homework assignments in October through December, 2017 as well as a winter training camp in January, 2018 where they have lectures, labs and night sky observing sessions, while staying together in a dorm for about 10 days.