The 12th KAO
1. The 1st Round (document based)
Registration Dates : Apr. 20(Fri)~May 10 (Thu), 2012 (online as well as postmark date)
Host : Korean Astronomical Society
Sponsors : Korean Astronomy and Space Science Institute,
Korea Foundation for the Advancement of Science & Creativity,
Ministry of Education, Science and Technology
Categories & Participant Eligibility
 School Category
(* The restrictions on the maximum number of applicants from an indiviudal school have been
- Middle School : students enrolled in the 2nd and 3rd grade of middle schools in Korea,
and who were born before Dec. 31, 1999
- High School : students enrolled in the 1st or 2nd grade of senior high schools in Korea
- General High school : including the autonomous private high schools
- Science High school : including the high schools for science-gifted education
 Personal Background Category
Regular Application : students who are not eligible for the Special Application.
Special Application (introduced first in 2012) : students whose personal background belong to socially vulnerable groups such as low-income or welfare families rural area residents engaged in agriculture and fishery, persons with disabilities,
North Korean refugees and multi-ethnic families, etc. who have an interest in
and aptitude for astronomy.
(* supporting documents needed)
Documents to be submitted (online or by mail):
- an application form with academic records section as well as activity records section
- a self-introduction essay
- an official school record including the transcript of the previous year
- a current school principal`s recommendation letter with an official seal
- a recommendation letter from someone in educational or research institutions who is well
acquainted with the potential, interest and aptitude of the applicant.
Format : Participants fill out the online application forms at the website, print out the completed essay and send it along with required (school records and recommendation letters) or supporting documents by post.
Results : 155 students (61 from middle schools, 39 from general high schools and 55 from science high schools)are selected in aggregate with no individual awards.
2. The 2nd Round (oral-interview based)
Date/Time : Sep. 1(Sat), 2012 / 08:00~12:10, 12:30~17:00
Location : Seoul National University, Bldg. no. 43-1 (Multimedia Building)
Participant Elligibility : Among those selected from the 1st round, ones who have submitted homework assignment at least once qualify for the 2nd round.
Format : Contestants are given 4~5 multi-step questions for which they have 30 minutes to solve
under proctored conditions and 10 minutes to explain the answers to two judges.
(calculators are permitted)
Judges make evaluations on the reasoning ability, problem-solving skills and creative potential
Results : 73 students (31 from middle schools, 21 from general high schools and 21 from science high schools) are selected without any awards given individually.
※ These students are trained via homework assignments as well as a winter training camp where they have lectures, labs and night sky observing sessions, while staying together in a dorm for about 12 days.