The 13th KAO
1. The 1st Round (document based)
Registration Dates : Apr. 22(Mon)~May 13 (Mon), 2013 (online as well as postmark date)
Host : Korean Astronomical Society
Sponsors : Korean Astronomy and Space Science Institute,
Korea Foundation for the Advancement of Science & Creativity,
Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning
Categories & Participant Eligibility
 School Category
- Middle School : students enrolled in the 2nd and 3rd grade of middle schools in Korea,
and who were born before Dec. 31, 1999
- High School : students enrolled in the 1st or 2nd grade of senior high schools in Korea
- General High school : including the autonomous private high schools
- Science High school : including the high schools for science-gifted education
 Personal Background Category
Regular Application : students who are not elligible for the Special Application.
Special Application : students whose personal background belong to socially vulnerable groups
such as low-income or welfare families
rural area residents engaged in agriculture and fishery, persons with disabilities,
North Korean refugees and multi-ethnic families, etc. who have an interest in and
aptitude for astronomy.
(* supporting documents needed)
Gender bias improvement application (introduced first in 2013) :
The majority gender at the 1st round application can not take up more than 75% in the
1st selection list. However, the exception is allowed if the total number of the minority
gender does not exceed 25% of the 1st round selection list.
Documents to be submitted (online or by mail):
- an application form with academic records section as well as activity records section
- a self-introduction essay
- an official school record including the transcript of the previous year
- a current school principal`s recommendation letter with an official seal
- a recommendation letter from someone in educational or research institutions who is well
acquainted with the potential, interest and aptitude of the applicant.
- a permission to collect and use personal information (introduced first in 2013)
Format : Participants fill out the online application forms at the website, print out the completed essay and send it along with required (school records and recommendation letters) or supporting documents by post.
Results (announced on Jun. 3, 2013): 170 students (61 from middle schools, 50 from general high schools and 59 from science high schools)are selected in aggregate with no individual awards.
2. The 2nd Round (oral-interview based)
Date/Time : Aug. 24(Sat), 2013 / 08:00~12:10, 12:30~17:00
Location : Seoul National University, Bldg. no. 43-1 (Multimedia Building)
Participant Eligibility : Among those selected from the 1st round, ones who have submitted homework assignment at least once qualify for the 2nd round.
Format : Contestants are given 4~5 multi-step questions for which they have 30 minutes to solve
under proctored conditions and 10 minutes to explain the answers to two judges.
(calculators are permitted)
Judges make evaluations on the reasoning ability, problem-solving skills and creative potential
Results (announced on Sep. 2, 2013): 72 students (36 from middle schools, 18 from general high schools and 18 from science high schools) are selected without any awards given individually.
※ These students are trained via homework assignments as well as a winter training camp where they have lectures, labs and night sky observing sessions, while staying together in a dorm for about 12 days.